Monday, March 27, 2017

A CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH A TWIST!

Recipe: Ragi (Finger Millet) Chocolate Cake (Eggless)


Chocolate cakes never fail to impress my family ,serve it 3 times a day ,7 days a week and again for a whole month and then try baking something else like a vanilla cake for break .... 😑 you would find my kids and hubby frown and say ... oh come on not this again 😐!!! Its not that they won't eat it ... of course, they gorge it down without much effort, but the initial distaste they show can seriously put me off.



As for me, I enjoy variety.... a new flavor each time.... So just imagine my plight !! 
So, when another order for chocolate cake was placed before me, I wanted to do something different which would have chocolate in it and yet something the I hadn't done before.


It was just a couple of days before, in between some casual conversations that a friend had mentioned that her aunt had made a cake with Ragi (Finger Millet) and that had caught my attention then, since I had some Ragi powder lying around in my larder and I was contemplating on trashing it soon.
That suddenly crossed my mind and I was already whipping up the 1st recipe that google had to offer me :)
The cake was well accepted by everyone at home and I enjoyed it too. I got this great recipe from Swathi's Recipes
I must say, this cake doesn't taste like the normal chocolate cake that we are tuned to like, but I really liked the variety it had to offer.
And if you are not aware, Finger Millets are very healthy and this cake could even be considered for a guilt free indulgence. Finger Millets are whole grain and even gluten-free , they are loaded with fibers and good carbs. 
Going forward with the recipe

Recipe

Ragi (Finger Millet) Cake (Eggless)
(Adapted from Swathi's Recipes)

                            

Ingredients

Ragi ( Finger Millet) -3/4 cup
All purpose flour (or whole wheat)-1/4 cupo
Whole wheat flour -1/2 cup
Cocoa powder-1tbsp
Baking powder-1 tsp
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
salt- 1/2 tsp
Jaggery or brown sugar ( I used brown sugar) - 2/3 cup (you could use palm sugar or plain sugar)
Milk -2/3 cup
Any oil -2/3 cup
Thick yogurt beaten -1/3 cup
Vanilla extract-1/2 tsp

                                                

Procedure

1. Preheat oven to 175 C . Grease a cake pan and set aside.
2. Sieve all the dry ingredients together.
3. Mix all the wet ingredients together .
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients ,avoiding lumps. Mix well .
5. Now pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30 mins. Insert a tooth pick in the centre of the cake to check the doneness .If the toothpick comes on clean, the cake is done.
6. Let the cake cool for 15 mins in the pan before inverting.
7. Once cooled completely you may decorate the cake as desired.

I poured some white chocolate ganache over the cake and used a couple of strawberries for a fresh look.

3 comments: