Monday, August 31, 2015

ROASTING QUAILS :)


Recipe: Quail Roast (Kada Roast)

Belated Happy Onam to all the Malayalees around the globe.

                                   

I apologise for the delayed greetings but as I have put in all my latest blogs about how I am juggling with time with my little ones, cooking, clicking and blogging ... I hope I can be pardoned.
This was our dinner a couple of weeks ago and since the husband was around I could manage a few quick clicks.
Since, Quail is not a regular at my place I couldn't afford to miss the chance.
Its a favourite with my dad and hubby and I have eaten this dish maybe just a couple of times when my mom made them during one of our vacations.
This is my first attempt with quail and I must say it turned out quite well.



The other day, I got to watch the video clip of a little girl crying her heart out as she realised that the chicken and other meat that she had been consuming were actually real life animals that were slaughter for food.
I couldn't help smiling at the little child's innocence and at same time wonder how children are so much more humane than most of us adults . 
Something quite similar happened at my home too when my little girl saw what we were cooking that evening.
She couldn't understand how her parents could be so heartless as to eat something so cute and small. 
We couldn't help laughing at her innocence and it took a while for us to make her understand that , thats the way of life and that even the chicken she loves so much were once walking around pecking and clucking in some farm. 

Well, though it totally freaked her out for a short while, she decided she wouldn't quit eating chicken... now that was a relief !!

We finally ,managed to convince her that its quite ok to eat these little birds too as they were nothing but baby chickens (She wouldn't dare open her mouth if she knew it were  quail.... or for that matter anything that she was not familiar with)

Now,going on to the recipe...

                            

QUAIL ROAST (KADA ROAST)
(Courtesy: My mom)

 Ingredients
Quails, cleaned and cut into 4 pieces each- 6 nos.
Onion - 1 small chopped
Curry leaves a handful
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp 

For the marinade
Ginger - a 1/2 inch piece crushed
Garlic - 3 or 4 big ones crushes
Green Chilly slit - 1 or 2 as per taste
Red Chilly powder - 1 heaped tsp
Coriander powder - 1 1/2 - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Freshly Crushed pepper- 1/2 tsp

                             


Preparation
First, marinate the quail pieces with the all ingredients given under marinade and leave to soak in the flavour for at least half an hour.
Heat a pan with the oil and add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
Tip in the marinated quail and cover and cook for around 5 mins or until 3/4th cooked.
Now, cook uncovered, by sautéing on slow flame until the quail is well roasted and crispy. 
You may adjust the salt at this time and also sprinkle some more crushed pepper and garam masala for added flavour.
You may serve the dish hot with rice or rotis.
Quite easy isn't it....thats the best part about my moms recipes, they are almost always very simple and yet so scrumptious.

Hope everyone enjoys this dish as much as we did.

4 comments: