Wednesday, March 25, 2015

ROSES FOR MY LITTLE ROSE

Recipe: Yellow cupcakes with Marzipan frosting




I am, like most bakers out there, a big fan of Wilton tips especially the 2D and 1M tips. But it was just last month that I went about buying them and was dying for a chance to use them.
Meanwhile, I had watched a million tutorials videos on how to put them to good use. Of all the designs, the rosette ones had had me glued. I just totally fell in love with those ohh -so -pretty rosette cakes and cupcakes. 
I usually don't make frosted cakes and cupcakes without an occasion to do so, so all I could do was impatient waiting. 
But then there came along mothers day and what more could I ask for?
My little girl made me this very cute card with Pepa pig and Family as the theme. She says her family is the same as Pepa pigs because she has a mom, dad and a brother just like the piglet :) 
Now I have the most wonderful excuse to bake something special for my children. 
I decided to stick to cupcakes since I thought they were the best for my practice sessions. 
So, I hereby present my very first rosette cupcakes. I have used the 2D tip here. 



Now, I had this packet of marzipan lying around lamely. Actually, it was something my husband had bought by mistake and had remained in my larder ever since. We are no marzipan and fondant lovers as a family , one thing we all agree on unanimously, for a change ;)
But whatever it may be I couldn't think of discarding it and that had me googling for other options to put this packet of marzipan to use. The efforts did not turn futile because I landed at this wonderful recipe for frosting using marzipan. This frosting is quite a lip-licking one  with a lovely almond flavour. Also, as you can see it holds its shape very well. 
               
My daughter couldn't help screaming with joy when she saw these pretty cupcakes. Anything for that sparkling smile!!

YELLOW CUPCAKES WITH MARZIPAN FROSTING
(Cupcake adapted from Joy of baking and Marzipan Frosting adapted from Odense.com)

Yellow Cupcake

Ingredients

All purpose flour- 1 1/2 cups
Granulated white sugar- 1 cup
Baking powder- 1 1/2 tsp
Salt- 1/4 tsp
Unsalted butter at room temp- 1/2 cup or 1 stick
Egg at room temp- 1
Egg yolks at room temp- 2 
Vanilla extract - 1 1/2 tsp
Sour cream or whole plain yogurt at room temp- 1/2 cup

Procedure
Preheat oven to 177 degree C.
Line the cupcake tin with liners.

Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add all the wet ingredients into this.
Using a stand or hand mixer beat the ingredients, on a medium speed, till you get a smooth and silky batter.
Transfer the batter into the muffin tins and bake for 20-25 mins or till a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Do not over-bake as the cupcakes can turn tough.
Let the cupcakes cool completely on a wire rack .

Marzipan Frosting

Ingredients
Marzipan grated - 7 oz or 200 gms 
Butter softened - 1 stick
Confectioners sugar - 3 cups
Hot water - 2 tbsp

Procedure
Place grated marzipan and butter in a bowl and with a stand/hand mixer beat on low speed until combined . Now beat on high speed till smooth and creamy. 
Now add sifted sugar and hot water and beat on low till combined and then increase speed to beat the mixture until smooth and fluffy.

                         
Now you may frost your cupcakes as desired.

2 comments: