Wednesday, March 18, 2015

FOR THE LENT

Recipe: Pepper Mushroom Dry 


I have somehow managed another post amidst all the craziness going around me with a soon- to- be 2 year old son and a 6 year old daughter who's on vacation !!!  
I am really back on track with my cooking trails and baking but clicking all what I make is turning
out to be quite a task with my ever so restless boy tagging along and poking his tiny fingers at my photoshoot arrangements.
He gives me that quizzical look when I move him away from the field.... well, he would be trying to dig his finger into my dish to get a taste of it.. poor thing!!  He cannot quite understand why his mom wants to take pictures of something that was supposed to gulped down and enjoyed :)
Anyways, this dish turned out to be much spicier than he could handle and that proved a little beneficial for my session.... though of course that never ruined his fancy for my camera, phew!!

                       

It's the Lent time now and most of us on a fasting mode. Many of my friends have turned pure vegetarians for the time and are constantly whining about having to break their heads on deciding 
their menu for the day. Since, I am more of a veggie person I can never go short of ideas, especially, with mushrooms and paneer availing itself all around the year.
Pepper mushroom is one of my favourite choices from the restaurant menu and I had been on the look out for that perfect recipe and Sharmis Passion offered me exactly what I was looking for. 
My hubby and I just love this dish and its a great combo with rotis and even rice. 
I dedicate this to all those people who are fasting for the Lent and definitely, satisfaction guaranteed 😃!!!!!

PEPPER MUSHROOM DRY
(Adapted from Sharmis Passion)

                                        

Ingredients
Mushrooms : 1 cup cleaned and quartered
Whole pepper : 1 tbsp
Capsicum : 1/2 cut length wise
Ginger-garlic paste : 1 tsp
Onion : 1 big sliced lengthwise
Coriander powder : 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder : 1/2 -1 tsp as per spice requirement 
Garam masala powder : 1/4 tsp
Cilantro leaves chopped for garnish
Salt 
To temper:
Oil : 2 tbsp
Fennel seeds: 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves 
Dry red chilly 1

Procedure
1. Dry roast whole pepper till aromatic and crush to a coarse powder using mortar and pestle. It's ok to use a grinder but try not to make a fine powder of it.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add fennel seeds. Once it splutters, add curry leaves and dry chilly.
3. To this add sliced onion and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté till onion is turns a golden brown. 
4. Tip in all the powders and keep sautéing till the raw smell is off.
5. Now toss in capsicum and continue sautéing for a minute.
6. Finally add the quartered mushrooms along with the crushed pepper and continue with the stirring on a low- medium flame.A lot of water will ooze out of the mushrooms. Wait till the water completely evaporates and the masala comes together and you get a semi dry to dry mixture.
7. Turn off flame and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve hot with rotis or rice.


Sharmis passion has a beautifully illustrated step by step procedure. You can find it here.
This recipe is definitely a winner and it's a regular in my kitchen now :) 

6 comments:

  1. spicy and delish,Misha..great to c u back:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie :) miss making regular posts

      Delete
  2. that definitely looks like a must try... delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Много вкусно, поздрави!

    ReplyDelete