Monday, April 1, 2013

A Seedy Delicacy

Recipe: Chakkakuru,Manga and Unakka chemmeen Curry (Kerala Style Jack fruit seed,Raw Mango and dried shrimp gravy)



I am sure my earlier posts give enough evidence of my intense love for traditional Kerala cuisine and this one is just a mere extension of that undisputed adoration.
Well, I had made this quite a long time back and now getting this post ready makes me crave for more but unfortunately I am left with no Jack fruit seeds.
A few weeks back a close friend of ours gave me some jack fruits, all cleaned and ready to eat. All I had to do was de-seed them and eat, and luckily for me neither my girl nor my hubby are great fans of this fruit :)
After devouring the fruit, my eyes fell on the seeds and then all I could think of was my mom's mouthwatering Chakkakuru Curry. It's been ages since I had some..... And then I was missing my mom like crazy too :(




Next thing, I was online with mom and was getting her recipe noted. The best thing about her cooking is that she follows no hard and fast rules and so if she is in a good mood, she gives wonderful surprises in an otherwise boring or routine dish. Amma makes this jack fruit seed curry with quite some twists and turns and the addition of dried shrimps is just one of them.
And as always thanking god that I could get settled back here in the Middle East which is definitely home away from home, giving me anything and everything that I get in Kerala, all under one roof :)
I hope most Keralites are familiar with Chakkakuru curry and this is not just the only way to prepare these seeds, Amma makes mezhukuparati (stir fry) with these seeds too and even better she sometimes  clubs them up with mildly ripe jack fruit slices ..... No words to describe the taste. Unfortunately didn't have enough seeds or fruit to try that one out.
Maybe some time soon , so going on with this recipe.

CHAKKAKURU, MANGA, UNAKKA CHEMMEEN CURRY


Ingredients
Chakkakuru/ jack fruit seeds - 10-12 sliced length wise
Raw mango - 1/2 , cut length wise
Drumsticks - 2,cut into 2 inch pieces ( I haven't used these since I did not have any, but it would be a good idea)
Dried shrimps - 1/4 cup
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Coconut milk - 1 1/2 cups
For tempering :
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Dried red chilly - 1
Curry leaves a handful

Preparation
First, cook the sliced seeds in nearly 1 cup water. Pressure cooking them would be a good idea. One whistle on high flame and one on low and open the cooker immediately  Do not let the seeds to be over cooked as they may break and loose shape.
Now drop in the mango slices and drumstick pieces and , if needed , some more water, along with chilly powder and turmeric powder and cook them on medium flame till done.
Meanwhile, dry roast the dried shrimps till crispy and after letting it cool, crush them using your food processor. DO NOT POWDER IT. Keep this aside.
Now, pour coconut milk into the cooked veggies and cook till it boils and thickens. I used coconut milk powder for the purpose ( mixed 2 tbsp of coconut powder in 1 1/2 cups of warm water) but you may use fresh coconut milk too.


Finally drop in the crushed dry shrimps and let boil for another minute or 2 for the flavour to fuse in. Add salt to taste.
For tempering, heat oil in a pan. When hot enough, drop in the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Now throw in the dried chilly and curry leaves too.
Pour this over the curry and serve hot with some steaming rice.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Beena.... Definitly agree

      Delete
  2. Oh oh my!!! I am drooling because I adore such dishes. That flavors with the ingredients are so interesting and inviting. Time to try this recipe and trill my family members as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Navaneetham, and plz do let me knw if u like it ..... It's one of my fav

      Delete
  3. Oh looks yum..:-) going to try this soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u Rekha .... If possible do give me a feedback :)

      Delete