Sunday, March 31, 2013

Going Chinese!!

Recipe: Easy Chinese Fried Rice




Some days can be quite a drag.... All you want to do is flop on a sofa and laze around the whole day, if you could help. But unfortunately, with a little girl to feed, that wonderful day dream almost always remains a dream :(
Now, yesterday was one such day and I just couldn't think about doing any elaborate cooking, cleaning or anything productive so to say. Breakfast went smooth with a bowl of cereal :). But as lunch time approached, and with no leftovers stocked in the fridge I was forced to drag myself off the sofa and into my kitchen.
 Rummaging through my fridge, I landed on a bowl of basmati rice. Hey, now that gave me lovely idea..... Fried rice, so easy to make and yet very scrumptious and my little one would have it with no much ado... Yippee perfect.

I have been making fried rice ever since I started cooking, a dish I am sure is a frequenter in most Indian homes. But I have learnt a few tips and additions to improve the taste of my fried rice and make it more restaurant like, over the years.
I had no intentions to make a post if this dish when I was making it but it was then I remembered Julie of Erivumpuliyum's event for month. Well, it calls for Chinese dishes and so took some hurried clicks of my dish and well, here it is.
Sending this easy fried rice recipe to Erivumpuliyum for the event 'flavours of cuisines'- Chinese.
And yes, A very very happy Easter to one and all !!!!

CHINESE FRIED RICE



Ingredients
Basmati rice - 2 cups
French Beans - 5-6 sliced finely
Carrot - 1 small sliced finely
Onion - 1 small diced
Garlic - 1 pod crushed
Spring onion - 1 diced
Capsicum - 1/2 sliced
Eggs - 2
Soya sauce - 1 tbsp
White vinegar - 1 tsp
Oyster sauce - 1 tsp
White pepper - 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil - 2-3 tbsp

Preparation
For fried rice it's always best to cook your rice the previous day.
Boil enough water to cover the rice while cooking. Cook rice till 3/4 th done, strain and leave to cool completely and then refrigerate overnight.
Heat oil in a wok, drop in the crushed garlic and sauté till the raw smell is off. Now toss in the diced onion and continue sautéing till translucent.
Follow this with half of the diced spring onion, sliced carrots, beans and capsicum and sauté for a couple of minutes.
Once all the veggies are done, makes well in between and break in the eggs one by one. Let the eggs set a bit and then scramble them well.
Take your refrigerated rice, and after breaking up the lumps toss into the sautéed veggies.
Tip in the sauces, vinegar, white pepper and salt and mix well. Try not to break the rice when you do so. And cook till the rice is nice and hot and fried.
Finally, garnish with the remaining spring onion and serve warm.



You could do your own moderations to this fried rice by maybe adding some shredded chicken, prawns or beef or maybe all of it to make some lip smacking mixed fried.

4 comments:

  1. It looks interesting and I think it also tastes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zim and yes it did taste well :)

      Delete
  2. Tempting & appetizing color dear:)
    Thanx for linking to the event dear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie and thank u 4 giving the opportunity :)

      Delete