Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Salad for the Soul!!


Recipe: Pasta Salad


Pasta Salads of any kind are my usual pick at any salad counters. Though I do enjoy all kinds salads except the ones with sea food in them, my salad plate will always have a lions share of pasta salad, followed by coleslaw and potato salad. The usual green salads and stuffs take a regular  back seat, not that I detest them, just that I am highly partial towards the former ones.

Now, its at the salad bar that my husband and I have that rare and completely opposing preferences, well, he is more of a green salad lover and unfortunately intolerant to creamy, dressing coated salads.


Though I had wanted to make pasta salad at home for a very long time, my husbands strong dislike for it had been refraining me from the attempt. But this time I decided to just ignore this hiccup and to go ahead with my very own like :)
Well, about the recipe and ingredients..... Before really arriving at this recipe, I had gone through at least 20 recipes but was totally put off for one reason or the other. Well, some seemed to use too much mayo, and some had ingredients which I usually don't use and most of them gave mega sized quantities. So, I decided to do some mixing and matching and finally arrived at this recipe which I would say, I was totally satisfied with. Not too creamy, not too sour or mayo- loaded, just perfect for me and very restaurant like.... Yippee yippee!!!!
Definitely making this again and again.
PS:I have used ingredients that was immediately available in my kitchen, hence it does lack a few veggies. You may add or delete any ingredient except of course pasta :)


PASTA SALAD
Ingredients


For Dressing:
Olive oil - 2 tbsp
Lemon Juice - 1 tsp
Mayonnaise - 1 tbsp
Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 tsp
Sugar - ½ tsp
Salt - as per taste
Pepper - ½ tsp or as per need
For Salad :
Pasta -  2 cups(uncooked) . Cook pasta as per instructions on the package
Lettuce - 1 cup torn or chopped
Smoked Turkey Breast - ½ cup chopped
Olives - a handful
Shredded Parmesan cheese - ¼ cup or lesser
These are what I had at hand, you may also add diced cucumber, carrots, pepperoni etc


Preparation
Place all the ingredients under ‘dressing’ in a mixing bowl and blend them well with a fork.
Now toss in all the other ingredients except pasta and parmesan cheese into the dressing and mix well and  then leave to marinate for 15 mins to half an hour in the refrigerator.
Meanwhile cook pasta, strain and leave to cool completely.
Add this into your salad and toss well. Finally garnish with parmesan cheese.
You may serve this immediately or after refrigerating it for a few minutes.
I devoured the whole thing all by myself. I refrigerated some of the leftovers and it stayed good even for the next day. I think this could even make a great, light dinner all by itself.

4 comments: