Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pasta made Indian :)

Recipe:Pasta with Curried Minced Meat



There are certain dishes that we get no where else but home...... Simply because they are one-of-the kind Creations by your mom. I believe, the dish I present here is one such. I am not sure if anything similar is available else where but this, very Indian pasta, I have eaten only from my mom's hand and now from mine, when I try to replicate her :)




I am not sure about how my mom ever arrived at such a recipe but its definitely worth a try and quite an interesting twist to the usual saucy, creamy Italian style pastas.
I have heard of and eaten pasta with meat sauce, this dish can be quite comparable to that, but the only major difference being that the meat gravy is made entirely using Indian spices.
I love pastas and the other day when as I was contemplating on making pasta for dinner, somehow all I could think about was this particular dish that amma makes and then I just had to make it.



My mom makes another interesting vegetarian version of this too. She replaces minced meat with minced soya chunks which can be quite deceptive :). No one would ever guess that the dish has anything to do with being vegetarian. Any ways, getting on with my very non veg version of this Indianised pasta .....

PASTA WITH CURRIED MINCED MEAT

Ingredients



Pasta - 2 cups cooked . Cook pasta in boiling water with a pinch of salt and few drops of oil until the pasta is soft. Drain and wash in cold water, this helps prevent the pastas from getting sticky.

Minced meat - 500gms (I used mutton mince) washed and drained
Green peas - 1/2 cup cooked
Onions - 2 medium sized diced
Ginger - 1 tbsp crushed
Garlic - 1 tbsp crushed
Green chillies - 2 slit or as per taste
Tomato - 1 small chopped
Curry leaves - a handful
Chilly powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Fennel powder - 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2-3 tbsp
Water as per need
P.S :the spices maybe altered as per personal preferences

Preparation

First, cook the minced by boiling in water along with a pinch of salt, turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp pepper until done well. Drain and set aside.

Heat some oil in a vessel. Add crushed ginger and garlic and sauté till the raw smell is off and slightly brown.
Toss in diced onion and continue sautéing till the onions turn golden brown.
Now add chopped tomatoes, green chilly and curry leaves and go on sautéing till the tomatoes turn soft and squishy and oil starts separating from the sides.
At this point,reduce flame and tip in all the spice powders and salt, one after the other and continue stirring till the spices loose their raw smell and thick masala base is formed.
To this add the cooked meat and green peas. Mix well, pour about 1/2 cup water for a gravy like consistency. If using pepper powder, you may add it a this stage. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes.
Remove from flame.



The minced meat gravy is ready to be served with pasta.
Now, you may serve it in any way you want, i.e..,
You can serve the gravy and pasta separately or even serve the pasta smothered with a huge serving of the gravy over it.
But I like it best how I usually do it..... I usually dump my entire portion of cooked pasta into the freshly prepared curry and give it a good toss so that the pasta and gravy are mixed well, allowing the pasta to absorb the lovely flavour of the gravy completely.
Serve pipping hot and enjoy!!

9 comments:

  1. Wow minced meat and paste, must be definitely so Indian and yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the yummy twist dear,looks yumm!!
    Love to see your recipe linked up in Flavors Of Cuisines-"Mexican"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely recipe.
    I think the once who don't eat meat can just make egg burji & add it instead of meat!!
    Will try this. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u so much and another option would be minced soya chunks , my mom does it tats way too :)

      Delete
    2. That is a better idea than adding egg, Thanks Misha!

      Delete