Thursday, January 24, 2013

Scrumptious Seafood

Recipe: Kadukka/Kallumekaaya/Mussel Roast




With all the agreements and disagreements that my husband and I have, the one thing that both of us doubtlessly share a heart and soul is in our love for mussels :)   We are definitly die hard fans of this thing!!


Though my husbands love for mussels started way when he was a child, mine started quite later, actually I had never seen or heard of this stuff until my post graduation days.




I was first introduced to mussels by a good friend and hostel mate,S, who hailed from Kozhikode, Kerala, the land famous for its seafood and many other delicacies. Her mom used to parcel mussel roast along with some really yummy Batoora and she used to bring enough food to fill up almost 15 of us :)
The first time she offered me this roast, I was completely perplexed at the sight of these strange looking creatures, had never seen anything like that before. I decided that there was no way anyone was going to coax me into eating that!!!! But after tremendous peer pressure and persuasion when I finally managed to slip one piece into my mouth, I couldn't imagine what I had missed for all those years. I am sure I am completely understood by all those mussel lovers out there ;) !!!!

I started cooking mussels at home only after moving to Bahrain and actually, this is just my third successful attempt. My mom got this recipe for me from a friend of hers also from Kozhikode and so an obviously lip smacking one. I had this made when my in-laws were visiting us and yes, everyone loved it !!

P.S  Cleaning up fresh mussels an be quite tricky and I am not quite familiar with it. We get cleaned, fresh mussels here and that is what I have used.

KADUKKA/KALLUMEKAAYA/MUSSEL ROAST




Ingredients

Mussels - 1/2 kg cleaned and washed well
Onion - 1 small diced (optional)
Chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Asaphotida powder - 1/4 tsp
Fennel powder - 1/2 tsp
Pepper - 1/4 tsp crushed coarsly
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Curry leaves - a handful
Oil - 3 -4 tbsps

Preparation

Tip in all the powders into the cleaned mussels and mix well. Leave to marinate for around 15 mins.

Meanwhile, heat around 2 tbsp oil in a wok and add the diced onion, sauté till translucent.




Now drop in the marinated mussels along with the curry leaves and cook uncovered by constant stirring.
Once,the water from the mussels completely dry up you may add another tbsp or 2 of oil and cook by stirring until you get a nice and crispy roast and seen in the pictures. This might take nearly 10-15 mins.
Serve this pipping hot with some steaming rice and curry or Ghee rice.

4 comments: