Wednesday, November 14, 2012

When Chocolate met Orange!!!!

Recipe: Chocolate Cake with Orange Butter cream Frosting

Here I am back again after a longer than expected break. Actually a lot happened over the past few weeks. Everything started with my daughters week long viral fever, followed by my 10 days long chest infection and asthma. And then when I started feeling that I could get back to my space, once and for all, we were bumpered with a string of birthday parties and other get-togethers and that left me with more timeless days.
Now, I am seriously worried whether I would be forgotten in the blog world :(





Anyways, despite all these shortfalls I had been doing some cooking and so I do have some drafts ready, which I would be hopefully posting soon enough.
It was hubby's birthday on the 8th of November and I had baked this for his big day. Of course, he knew all the way, that I was baking something special for him, but had no idea what it was going to be. So this beautifully orangey cake came as a mega surprise for him and he absolutely loved the choco-orange combo as did my little girl.
My hubby is a chocoholic so a chocolate cake was always in the agenda, but I wanted to make it special by baking a mid-night sin chocolate cake which I had spotted some time earlier and followed the same recipe but unfortunately mine didn't turn all that black since I did not use Dutch-processed cocoa powder. But I must say the cake tasted fabulous and I am really glad that I chose an orange flavoured frosting as the combo turned out to be a total winner.



The measurements I have used here are just enough for a 6 inch cake.
And before I continue, I did like to apologise for my poor cake decorations :)... Well, actually I am not too good at decorations , but will be definitely looking into that skill ASAP :)

CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH ORANGE BUTTER CREAM FROSTING

Chocolate Cake

(Adapted from here)



Ingredients

Flour - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 275ms
Salt - a pinch
Cocoa - 50 gms
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Coffee powder - 1 tsp
Boiling water - 1/4 cup
Oil - 1/4 cup
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Eggs - 2 large
Butter milk - 1/8 cup

Preparation

Preheat oven to 180degree C. Grease a 6 inch cake pan and line with parchment paper. I avoided all this since I used a silicon pan.

In a saucepan, mix together sugar, cocoa, salt and  baking soda with boiling water and stir well. Bring this to just boil over a medium flame and set aside for around 10 mins and then stir in the coffee powder. If using Dutch-processed cocoa, this step helps in giving the near black colour of the mid-night sin cake.

In the bowl of your hand or stand mixer, beat the eggs for a minute and then add in oil, vanilla extract, butter milk, and the cocoa mixture and beat for a minute or 2, till blended well.
Now add the measured flour and baking soda and beat till the flour has disappeared and just combined. Do not over beat. Or you could use a rubber spatula for this too.
The mixture will be quite runny. Pour this into the prepared pan and bake for 25- 30 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Leave to cool completely before unmoulding and frosting.



Orange Butter cream Frosting

Ingredients

Unsalted butter - 1/2 cup at room temp
Icing sugar - 3 -  3 1/2 cups
Orange zest - 1 tbsp
Fresh Orange juice - 3- 4 tbsp depending on how much of flavour you require
A few drops orange food colour if needed. I have used this.

Preparation

Cream butter in your mixer till smooth and fluffy.
Add icing sugar and beat till well blended. Now add orange zest, juice and food Colour and beat till smooth and creamy.
You can add more sugar or juice to get the perfect spreading consistency.

Assembly

Slice the cake horizontally into 2 equal halves.
Place the top half as the base and spread half a cup frosting on it.
Place the lower half on top of this with the cut side facing the frosting.
Now you may frost the cake completely and decorate as needed.

1 comment: