Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chocolate Reloaded!!

Recipe: Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Chocolate whipped cream filling and Milk Chocolate Ganache Frosting



It's already mid October and winter is no where in the vicinity.....  Ever since the beginning of this month , I have been waking up every morning expecting to find some rain or fog, but for some unfair reason, I am being betrayed :(
Last year, this time, we were already in our sweaters enjoying cool mornings and cold evenings.... But, alas, this year......
I have mentioned earlier, how I love winters and in fact, it's my favourite time of the year, so this completely unanticipated delay has actually left me feeling sullen and blue and I have been whacking my husbands brain with my unstoppable complaints that now, he has started vanishing each time he finds me gazing out of the window :)



Though there is nothing about the weather to be happy, I did enjoy some joyful moments yesterday morning, while taking a usual stroll around my kitchen garden. I found 4 tiny little chillies pointing out to me from their momma plant...... Woah, in a few days time I will be able to make my first harvest for the season..... Well, maybe the weather is not so bad after all :)
Anyways coming to the recipe, I had baked this cake almost 3 weeks back but just couldn't find time to get it posted. I know, for the last few months , my posts are being quite infrequent, don't get me wrong, it's not that I am loosing interest or that I have stopped cooking or photographing,never, it's just that I am sort of running short of time and even worst, my little one seems to be glued to my iPad and I am left begging to her for a chance, hope almost all Parents could relate to my plight!!
I did not bake this cake on any special occasion, just wanted to treat my chocolate lover daughter 
and her dad.



It's the first for me with chocolate chiffon cake, and I absolutely loved it, a really airy and fluffy cake and perfect to make frosted cakes.
A delightful chocolate experience, I must say :)

CHOCOLATE CHIFFON CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM FILLING AND MILK CHOCOLATE GANACHE FROSTING

Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Ingredients

Flour - 2/3 cup
Cocoa powder - 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp
Sugar - 1 cup
Baking powder - 1 1/4 tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Eggs - 3 large + 1 egg white
Oil (corn, canola) - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/3 cup
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Cream of tartar - 1/8 tsp


Preparation
Preheat oven to 177 degree C. Grease and line a 9 inch baking baking tray with parchment paper.

Whisk together flour, cocoa powder,2/3 cup of sugar, baking soda,baking powder and salt. Set this aside.

Separate the eggs and leave them aside till they are at room temperature.

Mix together oil, vanilla extract and water.

Using your beater, beat the egg yolks for a minute or two on high, now reduce speed to low and gradually add the liquid mixture and beat on till well incorporated.
To this add the dry ingredients and beat till well combined. You can do this with a spatula too, if you prefer.

In another squeaking clean and dry bowl, take your egg whites. Using an absolutely clean and dry whisk, beat your egg whites till fluffy. Add the remaining sugar and cream of tartar and whisk till you get stiff peaks.

Using a rubber spatual, fold in the egg whites gently into the flour mixtures until just combined. Do this very gently to avoid deflating the batter.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean and the surface of the cake is springy to touch.
Let the cake cool completely before frosting.

Chocolate Whipped Cream
Ingredients

Whipping Cream - 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder - 3/4 tbsp
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Vanilla extract - 1/4 tsp

Preparation
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and place it covered along with the whisk in the refrigerator for around 1/2 an hour to an hour.
Beat to get stiff peaks.


Milk Chocolate Ganache
Ingredients

Milk chocolate - 227 gms cut into small piece
Unsalted butter -  2 tbsp
Whipping cream - 3/4 cup

Preparation
Place the chopped pieces of chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
In a saucepan, bring whipping bream and butter to just boil, over medium heat.
Immediately pour this over the chocolate and let stand for a few mins for the chocolate to melt.
Using a wire whisk, gently stir till you get a smooth creamy chocolate mixture.

Assembly

Gently slice the cake horizontally to get 2 equal layers.
Place the top layer of the cake as the base and spread the whipped cream frosting on it. Now top it with the other half and press gently.
Refrigerate the cake at this stage so the filling gets set.


Now,place parchment paper below a wire rack and place the cake on the rack. The parchment paper is to catch the dripping ganache and avoid mess.
Pour ganache over the cake and spread well, so that the whole of the cake is covered in it, including the sides. Try to do this as evenly as possible.
Transfer the cake onto a serving dish and refrigerate till serving time.
Garnish as desired. I made mine quite simple as my cake was made for no special occasion. I just used some sprinkles for the purpose.

This cake almost melted in my mouth and with the whipped cream and ganache all in one bite.... Hmmmm....blissful :)

4 comments: