Thursday, September 6, 2012

Muffins and Cases


Recipe: Carrot Muffins
             Home-made Muffin Cases


 

I enjoy carrot muffins.... The flavour, texture and above all, the fact that it can stuff lots of carrot into my daughter, makes it all the more special :).
There are lot of recipes for carrot muffins floating in the blog world and I tried a couple of them too, but this particular recipe is something that I found to be quite a quick fix that too with a wonderfully moist and fluffy texture. I found it in joyofbaking like with most of my cake recipes :)



I know carrot muffins are something everyone is familiar with and nothing new to boast about, well, actually it's a common quick bread at my home too. But this time, the highlight is that the muffins are held in cases made by me :)




I have always fancied the muffin cases we get at the coffee shops.... Hope you guys have noticed !!
Those white, crisp, paper cases with long pointy edges ... Always felt that they have an elegance..But never did know that those were mere handmades.

I had been searching for those cases at the stores and found them to be more expensive than the usual cases. It was then that I accidentally stumbled upon this site that showed how to make these cases at home. The technique is believably simple and yet gave me these pretty cases which looked so like those at the cafes. They are also a perfect solution if you happen to run out of cases while baking :)



 

So here goes and hope everyone likes these muffins and their cases as did my family and me....

CARROT MUFFINS
(Adapted from joy of baking)

Ingredients

All purpose flour - 1 1/3 cup
Baking powder - 1tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Carrots grated - 1 1/3 cups (approx 2 medium sized carrots)
Apple peeled and grated - 1 (optional , but I recommend adding this as it gives the cake a wonderfully moist texture)
Oil - 1/2 cup
Egg - 1 large
Vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1 tsp (optional,I did not add)



 

Preparation

Preheat oven to 180 degree C and line your muffin tin with liners.

Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a bowl (flour,salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon if using,sugar)
In another bowl,whisk together all the wet ingredients (oil,egg,vanilla)
Now fold the wet ingredient into the dry ingredient along with the grated carrots and apple using a rubber spatula.
Do not over mix as your muffins will get tough. Just mix until the flour mixture is completely moistened. The batter will be thick.

Spoon in the batter into the prepared muffin cases and bake for 20-25 mins or till a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

These lovely muffins can be eaten warm or after complete cooling. 



 

MUFFIN CASES

Parchment or greaseproof paper cut into 5 or 6 inch squares. I cut mine into 6 inch squares.

Grease the cut parchment paper well and push them into the muffin tin. Crease the bottom of the cases well, so that they fit well into the tin. You can use the bottom of a bottle for this.
Crease the sides of the muffin cases well so as to close the gap between the folds. This is done to avoid the batter from going in between the gaps.



 

Your muffin cases are ready.... Remember to the grease the papers well and also to crease the paper at the fold... This worked perfectly for me and the muffins came out nice and clean.

6 comments: