Saturday, June 23, 2012

Something Fishy in my Dish!!!!

Recipe: Fish Cutlets
Cutlets are a fav at my home,irrespective of whatever the filling may be.
But somehow fish cutlets have always been found to have a slightly higher fan following with almost everyone I know :)
My mom makes some of the best cutlets I have ever tasted and I follow her recipe word for word.
                           




Cutlets have a lot of childhood memories attached to it and have always been associated with the frequent parties that we used to have then.  There was not a party which passed without cutlets, at my home and the other homes where we were called too as well, ooohh what fun it used to be then. All that we kids had to do was eat, drink and make merry....... All the sweating and work were for the poor moms!!  Well, unfortunately, I have fallen into the poor-mom category now :(
                                   

Some of my early cooking experience had been with making cutlets......well, I really don't know if you could call it actual cooking...... But it's always me who would help my mom with rolling out the cutlets in bread crumbs and with the shaping :). There would be almost 50-60 cutlets but I used to have fun with all the rolling and shaping and all the mess I made with the breadcrumbs, it was the only time when my mom allowed me this close to her masterpieces and I really made most of it  :)

Anyways, coming back to my cutlets, I made mine for no big parties and my measurements make just 10 medium sized cutlets..... Small is beautiful and yes easier ;)

FISH CUTLETS

Ingredients

Fish (big,fleshy varieties I have used Kingfish) - 1 cup
Onion - 1 medium sized chopped finely
Ginger - 1 tsp chopped
Garlic - 1 tsp chopped
Chillies - 2 chopped
Potatoes - 2 medium sized boiled and mashed
Chilly powder - ½ tsp
Coriander powder - ½ tsp
Garam Masala - ¼ tsp
Pepper - as per need
Salt - as per need
1 egg white slightly beaten or 1 tsp cornflour mixed with ¼ cup water
Bread crumbs - 1 cup
Oil - For deep frying



                            

Preparation
Boil fish in around ½ cup water with a pinch of salt, pepper and turmeric powder, until done. Strain the cooked fish and shred it using your fingers, removing all the bones as you do. Keep this aside.

Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil. Add the chopped onions, garlic, ginger and chillies and saute this until the onions have turned translucent.
Now tip in all the spice powders (chilly pwdr, coriander pwdr, garam masala pwdr and pepper) and salt and stir till the raw smells is off.
Now drop in the shredded fish and mix well. Stir this till all the water from the fish has evaporated and the mixture is quite dry and then remove from flame.

When the fish masala is cool enough for you to handle, add the mashed potatoes and mix well with your hands. Check for salt now and add as per need.

Divide this mixture into equal sized balls. You will get nearly 10 balls.




Dip these balls first in the egg white/ corn flour-water mixture and then roll them in bread crumbs until well coated and then finally shape them out.
Deep fry these patties until golden brown and drain off the excess oil on tissue paper.
Remember to drop your cutlet in the oil only after the oil is really hot, otherwise your cutlets will break. Also use enough oil to submerge the cutlets.




 You may serve these yummy cutlets with ketchup or enjoy them as such.
Sending this to Erivum Puliyum for the Kerala Kitchen June event.

8 comments:

  1. Very delicious n yummy cutlets,love all cutlets :-)
    Thanx for linking Misha:-)

    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

    2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank u Sarah..... Btw long time no c..... Missing ur posts :)

      Delete
  3. I will be trying this one...looks delicious..;)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...mouthwatering cutlets:) First time here...u hav a lovely space...happy to follow u:)

    ReplyDelete