Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Princess for My Little Princess

Recipe: Vanilla Cake with Buttercream Frosting

Every other moment or event that passes by, keeps leaving me awestruck at how fast the time flies these days. It just seems yesterday that we were getting ourselves ready for our little darlings first day at preschool and it's already time for her to bid farewell to her first teacher and friends.
She loves her school and so do we as it's a pleasure to see what a swell time she's been having out there.....in fact she enjoys her school to the extent of hating weekends!!!!

Anyways, her lovely roller coaster ride is coming to an end by the end of this month and we have been preparing her for that for quite some time now.... I hate giving her nasty surprises. Well, I guess she's learning to adjust to the fact quite faster than I expected. And I feel that its we adults who can be real spoilsports, because I think its me who is being a little over emotional about her leaving play school :).
                                       



Now, coming to this cake
A couple of weeks back my daughter returned from school with the demand that she wanted to have a birthday party in class. It seemed that most of her friends were throwing parties in class and she wanted one too. Though it sounded highly inappropriate with her birthday falling months away, my husband and I decided to give in to her fancy as she wouldn't be having any real birthday celebs in this favourite school of hers.
Ah.. And yes her another big demand was that she wanted a pink princess cake for her party and it was my husband who planned that I should do the baking for the function.

Though I did find the idea interesting I found myself slightly doubtful considering the size of the cake that I should bake to serve almost 25 people. I had never baked anything bigger than a 9" cake until now.....
After a short research I decided to bake a vanilla cake with pink buttercream frosting and I followed Stephanie Jaworski’s recipe for this, just that I had to double the quantities of all the ingredients used. You can find the original recipe here.

Well,Since, I am not  a great cake decorator I decided to leave my cake as simple as possible and decided that the best way to make a princess effect was to place pretty princess cake topper and so that's what I did, easy yet pretty and the best part,my girl loved it , now that was all that I wanted :) 



Please bear with all the imperfections in my cake :)
I must also warn that the pics aren't that great since I had to rush with my photography before parceling it off to her school.

VANILLA CAKE WITH BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
(Weighs almost 2 kgs and serves 25)
                            



Ingredients

Vanilla Cake:
All purpose flour - 6 cups
Baking powder - 2 tbsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Unsalted butter - 2 cups (4 sticks ) softened
Sugar - 3 ¾
Eggs - 8 large ones at room temp
Vanilla essence - 4 tsp
Milk - 2 cups at room temp

Buttercream Frosting:

Icing sugar/ Confectioners sugar - 8 cups sifted
Unsalted butter - 2 cups softened
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Milk - 4-6 tbsp
Red Food colour - few drops

Preparation

Vanilla Cake:

Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Grease two 10 inch pans and line with parchment paper.

Whisk together all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) in a bowl.

Place butter in a large bowl and using a hand mixer or stand mixer beat until creamy and smooth. Add sugar and continue creaming till you get a fluffy, glossy mixture.
Now drop in the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition and finally add vanilla essence.

Add flour and milk in 3 additions to the butter mixture, starting and ending with flour. You may use a mixer for mixing , but I prefer folding in with a spatula.

Divide the batter equally between the 2 pans and smooth out the surface.
Pop the pans into the oven and bake for 35-40 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Leave to cool in the pan for 10 mins and then transfer onto a wire rack let cool completely before frosting.



                           

Buttercream frosting:

Cream butter to form a smooth, creamy texture. Add vanilla extract and continue beating. Now tip in the sifted icing sugar gradually and continue beating to get a smooth, creamy mixture.
Add around 3 tbsps of milk and beat on high speed until light and fluffy.
Add milk or sugar as required to get a smooth, easily spreadable consistency.

Now add the food colour till you get your desired colour. Frosting is ready for use.

Assembly:

Cut the completely cooled cakes horizontally to get 4 layers. You may skip this step.
I wanted 4 layers as it was my little ones 4th birthday celebration...... even though it wasn’t her real birthday :)

Place one layer on your serving plate and spread around ½ cup frosting on it. Place the second layer on top of this and repeat the same process until all the layers have been assembled.

Finally frost the entire cake and decorate as desired.

13 comments:

  1. wow Misha! What an awesome mom u r ! so how was her special day? Im sure it was nothing short of spectacular with such loving parents..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u so much Sarah..... The celebs went quite well ...... What's better than watching that 1000 watt smile on ur little ones face :)

      Delete
  2. Very cute and lovely cake Mish, I'm sure your girl was in all smiles for sure after seeing the cake..

    On Going Event EP Series Basil or Cardamom @Cook-Ezee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u Prathibha...... Oh yes she really was happy with her cake, especially the topper :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome bake & frosting,Misha..Lucky daughter to have a mom like u..:-)

    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

    2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u so much Julie 4 this lovely comment :)

      Delete
  4. very cute cake for little princess. new here.. you have a lovely collection misha.. glad to follow you.. do stop by mine when u r free..

    http://jopreet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hema the cake looks very yummy. first time here you have delicious blog glad to follow you do visit my space in ur free time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank u so much Supriya for visiting my space and taking time to post a comment.... will surely drop by urs too :)

      Delete
  6. Cute and lovely cake.nice blog pls visit and join my space and add ur comments in your free time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank u so much visiting my space wll definitely drop b urs :)

    ReplyDelete