Thursday, May 3, 2012

Potatoes Pressured!!

Recipe: Kashmiri Dum Aloo (Potatoes cooked in tomato-yoghurt gravy)

 


Until last december I considered myself to be one of the luckiest woman on earth, well, maybe the luckiest amongst my friends and neighbours as I was the only one who could wake up at 8.30 am or even later almost everyday as my husband had to start work only by 10 am and my daughter hadn't started school yet......well, that was just the cake.....The icing was that I didn't have to prepare an elaborate lunch for the whole of the week....(except on the weekends of course) ...with my husband  almost alway taking packed lunches. And since I never enjoyed eating alone, my lunches were usually easy whip ups and sandwiches. The only real  lunch making that I had to do was for my daughter, but that was ok as it was mostly tiny quantities of fried rice, biryanis or chapatis.....which of course was a mere slice of cake!!


all these weren't here to last for ever and my life took a 360 degree shift when my daughter started preschool in January this year!!!!!!

All my lovely little luxuries crashed and here I am ,like all the other ladies in my neighborhood, waking up by 5.30 am to get my little girl ready for school..... and even worst, sweating myself out preparing full lunches day after day with my husband coming home for lunch having picked my daughter from school (well he drops and picks our girl from school).Though it did take me some time; I have,kind of, fallen into routine but of course lamenting about my past glorious days. 


 
Anyways talking about lunch, our usual lunch menu includes rice, some Kerala style veg or fish gravy and some ‘mezhukuparraty’ or ‘thorran’ (which are dry side dishes prepared in typical Kerala style). Making this over and over ,day after day has really bored me out.... I can easily tire out with routine menu and crave for a change once in a while. So yesterday I decided to give myself that change and settled for a lunch of chapattis and Kashmiri Dum Aloo.

Though I have had Dum Aloo loads of times from restaurants, I have never really prepared them at home. I bumped into this recipe in a magazine and decided to give a shot at it and this tangy, spicy dish did succeed in providing me with the change  I was craving for.... I really enjoyed this recipe,hope you do too :)

KASHMIRI DUM ALOO


Ingredients

Baby potatoes - 5 (or medium sized potatoes cut into bite sized pieces,that’’s what I used)
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon stick - 1  one inch stick
Green Cardamom - 2
Cumin seeds- ¼ tsp
Onion - 1 chopped finely
Tomato puree - 1 cup
Yogurt /curd - ¼ - ½ cup depending on sourness. Use less if your yogurt is too sour
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Kasuri methi - ¼ tsp
Salt as per need


For the masala paste
Ginger - ½ inch piece
Garlic - 4-5 cloves
Cashew  nuts- around 10
Dry red chillies - 4-5 as per spice needs
Green Cardamom - 2
Brown Cardamom - 1
Peppercorn - ¼ tsp
Grind these into a smooth paste

Oil - 5-6 tbsp









Preparation

-Heat oil in a wok or non-stick vessel and fry the potatoes till they are golden brown. Using a slotted spoon drain off the potatoes and set aside.


- In the same oil add cumin seeds, cloves, green cardamom and cinnamon stick. Let this splutter.


- Now add the chopped onion and saute till it turns golden brown. To this add the ground paste and continue sauteing for a few minutes. Now add the coriander powder and turmeric powder and stir for a few seconds.


- Pour in the tomato puree and yogurt and mix well. Toss in the kasuri methi as well. Saute for a few more minutes until oil starts separating from the mixture. To this pour around 1 cup water so that you may have sufficient gravy.




 
- Add the fried potatoes to this gravy and mix. Now using a tight lid close the vessel and seal tightly. You may use a foil paper to cover the mouth of the vessel before closing with the lid. Cook under pressure for around 5-10 mins.


- Remove the seal very carefully, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati or rice.





I am sending this to Julie of Erivum Puliyum for the ongoing event  Show Me Your HITS Series #4 -Iron Rich Foods.

12 comments:

  1. Thank u Julie, will Definitly link 2 the event thnks 4 letting me knw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy gravy ..awesome clicks.and perfectly go with roti,naan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome!
    http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious curry misha.. this is one of my husband's fav.. will save this recipe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u so much Reshmi..... It's one of our fav too :)

      Delete
  5. i'm saving this recipe for trying very soon... like you say, we keralites somehow have this redundancy to try anything apart from rice, curry and upperi for lunch... even i hate it but then somethings are difficult to change...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true Rafeeda, some things juz don't change ..... And yes thank u so much 4 visiting my space and also leaving a comment.....hope u enjoy the dish :)

      Delete