Monday, May 14, 2012

A Dedication to Chocolate Lovers :)

Recipe: Eggless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate-Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting


 

It’s been a while since I had made a cake with frosting and my daughter had been pestering me for one.


The last time I made one was almost 2 months back for my little one's term-end class party and she wasn't really happy about it as she could manage only one piece from it :)
(I think the poor thing expected to get a few pieces parceled back home for she came back whimpering ‘amma teacher didn’t give my cake back’ :)).
Though I love frosted cakes, I don’t often make them because the idea of having an entire frosted cake in my refrigerator …....oooooh.....don’t think I will be able to resist that temptation one tiny bit!!
But anyways, I decided that it was not fair on my part to penalise my little darling for my weak heart....
I baked my daughter’s all time favorite chocolate cake, but an eggless version and frosted it with chocolate cream cheese.





 The combination worked beautifully and the cake vanished in no time.

EGGLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE-PECAN CREAM CHEESE FROSTING



Egg-less Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
Flour - 1 ½ cup
Cocoa powder - ¼ cup
Baking Powder - 2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Salt - ¼ tsp
Sugar - 4 Tbsp
Condensed Milk - 1 tin
Vegetable oil - ½ cup
Vanilla essence - 1 tbsp
Warm water -  1 cup

Preparation

Preheat oven to 150 Degree C and grease and line an 8 inch cake tin with parchment paper.

In a bowl sieve and mix together all the dry ingredients (flour,baking powder, baking soda, salt,cocoa powder and sugar).

In another bowl mix together condensed milk, vegetable oil and vanilla essence. Pour this into the dry ingredients and fold in slowly. Finally pour in the warm water and mix slowly until the dry ingredients are just moistened and there are no lumps.
Do not overmix or else the cake will go flat and hard.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 25-30 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Cool the cake completely before frosting.



 

Chocolate-Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients
Butter Softened - ¼ cup
Cream Cheese - 1 cup or almost 12 cubes at room temperature
Cooking Chocolate - ¼ cup melted over water bath
salt - a pinch
Icing Sugar - 3 cups
Vanilla - 1 tsp
Pecan chopped finely - ½ cup

Preparation

Place the butter and cream cheese in a bowl and using your hand mixer or stand mixer beat them on low speed until smooth and lump-free.
Now add sugar and salt and continue beating on low speed until incorporated. Finally pour in the melted chocolate and vanilla essence and beat until smooth and glossy.
Add the chopped pecans and fold in.
Your frosting is ready.
Its really hard to stop licking this frosting.... its really smooth, creamy and simply yummy!! Just remember to save enough to frost your cake :)



 

Assembly
Place your cake (once completely cooled) upside down on a platter and frost the top and sides.
Placing your cake face down helps giving you an even surface to frost.
You can use some pecans to garnish your cake.



I would like to thank Reshmi of Noel collections for passing an award to me.


12 comments:

  1. wow..yummy with the frosting,I too have a chocolate cake in my drafts without frosting,will post soon!!

    Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
    in the following ongoing events-
    Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
    EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u Julie..looking forward to ur post :)

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely
    http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cake looks delish..yummy frsoting.U have a award waiting for you at my space..
    http://varietyisthespiceofyourlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank u so much Avika for ur comment and the beautiful awards and congrats on ur awards too :)

      Delete
  4. Yummy Choc cake Misha, awesome prep :-)

    ReplyDelete