Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Zesty Cake

Recipe: Eggless Lemon Cake

Engrossed in one of my favourite pastimes, blog surfing, I happened to see this mouth-watering picture of a lemon cake made by the popular and talented cook/blogger Ria. I found myself ogling at the lovely cake and then all I wanted was to take a big bite into that beautiful, yellow cake.





Well, obviously, the only way I could do that was to bake it myself (I wish there was some technology that could bring the food on the websites alive, wow! I had seen something like that in some kid’s movieJ)
Anyways, pushing past my musings, I geared up to get my oven ready to waft the lovely aroma of a baking cake….
And this time over I decided to prepare an eggless, butter less version of the same.


With my recent posts on eggless cakes, I am sure most of you must be thinking that I am an egg hater, well absolutely no… I love eggs and for that matter egg is one of my favourite non-vegetarian items. But with my stubborn waistline having sworn never to recede, I have been forced me into these eggless baking ventures.
At least, it allows me to indulge in peace J



The cake turned out to be a super-moist and spongy treat with a lovely lemony flavour.

EGGLESS LEMON CAKE

Ingredients

All-purpose flour – 1 ½ cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – ¾ tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Sugar – 1 cup
Oil – 1/3 cup
Lemon juice and zest – from 1 lemon
Yogurt – ¾ cup
Warm water/ milk – ½ cup (I used water)





Preparation

Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Grease and line a baking tin with parchment paper and set aside.
Mix together yogurt and baking soda and leave to bubble up.
Meanwhile, sieve together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
In another bowl mix together oil, sugar, lemon juice and zest and pour this mixture into the dry ingredients.
Also add the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients.


Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon combine the ingredients together until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Now pour the warm water/milk and combine well. You may also use a mixer for this.
Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 mins or until a tooth pick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Leave to cool completely before slicing.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely
    http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice clicks.. nice recipe.. I too love eggless cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ma'am thank you so much for posting this recipe

    i followed the recipe exactly the same...except i added 2 lemons instead of one coz the ones i had were too small but it was still perfect

    in all honesty, im a maha flop baker..and this zesty cake is my most successful bake so far....totally yummy!! =P~
    my mother had a hard time believing i actually made this tangy go0dness :D
    and she has also agreed to lift my ban on baking all thanks to you! (:

    will try the chocolate cream cheese cake next ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abheeshtoo

      i am so happy and honoured to receive this msg frm u dear..... It's such a happy feeling to hear from someone who has actually tried and succeeded with my recipe...... And one thng everyone starts as terrible bakers, I was one too :)..... And best of luck for all ur baking ventures....... Take care

      Delete