Saturday, March 24, 2012

Healthy Baking Ventures

Recipe: Low-Fat Banana Bread (Whole wheat and Egg-less)

I love Banana Bread. I love everything about it, its lovely banana- cinnamon flavour, texture and the heavy aroma that hangs about the house even the day after the day of baking. Mmmm…. Heavenly!!
It is also one of the first stuffs that I had learned to bake perfectly. Actually the second one, the first being an obvious, chocolate cake J

 

 Like most of my bake recipes, my banana bread recipe too comes from my virtual baking Guru, Stephanie Jaworski of Joy of baking. If there’s someone who hasn’t seen her mouth watering space, please do not delay.
The first time I made banana bread, I made it a point to follow her recipe inch for inch and word for word as I was too worried about ruining my baby. And I was more than glad I did that as my bread turned out to be a perfect masterpiece… Soft, moist and luscious.
Ever since, I have made it many times over and I even make her low fat version of the same.  With overripe bananas being a regular affair, there’s no better solution than this one J

 
 I guess, with banana bread being a regular affair at home, it never occurred to me to make a post on it.
This time, when I decided to bake another banana bread, I wanted to go for a low- fat one and that too an egg less and whole wheat one. I resolved to stick to Stephanie’s measurements with slight alterations of mine.
Well, the original recipe uses more of all-purpose flour and eggs too and here is where I made my alterations. I deleted the eggs from my list, reversed the whole wheat- all purpose flour ratio and doubled the yogurt quantity to compensate the egg- loss.


And the outcome was a super moist, amazingly soft, delicious and healthy bread, perfect for a guilt-free tea break. Now, this one had to go into my space!!
I guess this recipe is here to stay with me for good…..


LOW-FAT BANANA BREAD
(Original recipe here)

Ingredients

Ripe Bananas – 1 cup mashed (about 2 large)
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Low-fat yogurt – 1 cup
Oil – ¼ cup (I used corn oil)
Light brown sugar – ¾ cup (you may use white sugar, but reduce the quantity to 2/3 cup)
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Whole-wheat flour – 1 cup
All-purpose flour – ½ cup
Cinnamon powder – 1tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp


 

Preparation

Preheat oven to 180 degree C and get a greased loaf pan ready.

Mix together the mashed bananas, yogurt and baking soda and allow the mixture to sit until it bubbles up. Meanwhile, get the other ingredients ready.

In another bowl, sift together the flours, cinnamon powder, baking powder and salt.

Once the banana mixture bubbles up, add the brown sugar, oil and vanilla essence to it and mix well.

Now combine the flour mixture and the banana mixture. Stir until the ingredients are just combined and moistened. DO NOT OVERMIX, or else your bread will get tough and rubbery. Your batter would look chunky and it’s quite ok to have few lumps.


Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth out the top and pop it into the preheated oven. Bake for 45-55 mins or until a tooth pick inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.

Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thnks Julie... I have tried the original 1 too, I made slight alterations here :)

      Delete
  2. First time here.Glad to follow you.
    U have a lovely space!
    Check out mine in your spare time
    http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete