Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Dessert from my Homeland


Recipe: Easy Parippu Pradaman (Cooked Lentils in Jaggery-Coconut Milk Custard)




It feels like heaven to be back on the internet and in my space after what felt like eternity.
Well, I have just settled down after two long weeks of backbreaking shifting, shoving, sorting and stacking, yes, we have moved into a new place and I am only learning to get my hands used to the new cabinets in my new kitchen.
To worsen my plight the telephone people refused to turn up when expected delaying my connection to World Wide Web. It’s not until now that I realised how addicted I have come to be to the internet, especially to the blog world!!!
I had almost started to feel psychic, when the connection finally arrived J
Though I really enjoy my new house and surroundings, I kind of miss my old one too, especially since I had to leave behind a good set of friends and neighbours.  But unfortunately changes are inevitable and life has to move on….. Trying hard to learn that fact of life!!
Anyways coming to my dish, I had prepared this before my shift. Actually I made this for some of my good friends as a farewell treat J  and for obvious reasons could only get this posted now.

Payasam requires absolutely no introduction to a Keralite.
It is a traditional Kerala dessert usually made on festivals and special occasions like birthdays. Payasams are basically of 2 types: Pal payasam (dessert made in milk) and Pradaman (dessert made in jaggery and coconut milk). There are different kinds of pal payasams and pradamans.
The one I have made here uses lentils (moong daal) as the main ingredient. Pradamans can even be made of bananas, wheat, mangoes etc.




I have called it easy pradaman because I have replaced freshly squeezed coconut milk with coconut milk powder which quite simplified the otherwise tedious and messy process of milking the coconut J

PARIPPU PRADAMAN (Cooked Lentils in Jaggery- Coconut Custard)

Ingredients

Lentils (moong dal) – 450gms
Jaggery – 600 Gms
Coconut milk powder – around 10 heaped tbsp
Water
Small banana – 1
Cardamom – 4 (coats removed)
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Raisins – a handful
Cashew nuts – a handful


Preparation


  1. Dry roast the lentils in a heavy bottomed vessel. Stir continuously so as to avoid burning them. Roast the lentils until they are golden brown in colour. Now pour 2-3 cups of water into the roasted lentils and cook covered until the lentils are well cooked to the level that it can be mashed easily. You may as well use a pressure cooker for this.
  2. Place jaggery in a saucepan along with a cup of water and heat until the jaggery is completely dissolved.
  3. Pour the dissolved jaggery, through a sieve, into the cooked and mashed lentils and start cooking this mixture stirring continuously. As the mixture starts thickening pour 2 tbsp of ghee and continue stirring. You may stop when oil starts separating from the mixture and the same would have turned to be a single, solid mass. It took me almost 30 mins to reach this consistency.
  4. Using a blender pulse together banana and cardamom to get a smooth paste. Set this aside.
  5. Now you have to use the coconut milk powder to make milk of different consistencies. For this, first mix 2 tbsp of powder in 3 cups of warm water to make thin milk (moonam pal).
  6. For slightly thicker milk dissolve 3 tbsp of powder in 2cups of warm water (randam pal). And finally for the thickest milk (onnam pal) let’s mix 5 tbsp of powder in 1 cup of water.
  7.  First pour the thinnest milk into the lentil – jaggery mixture and heat on. Letthe mixture boil and start thickening. Stir continuously so as avoid the mixture from getting burned at the bottom of the vessel.
  8. Once, the mixture starts thickening pour the slightly thicker milk and stir on continuously letting the mixture boil and thicken as you do.
  9. Finally pour the thickest milk along with the banana- cardamom paste and let it boil, stirring continuously.
 When the payasam starts boiling and bubbling, remove from flame.



Your  Payasam is finally ready and all it requires is some garnishing. For this, heat some ghee in a wok and fry the cashews and raisins in it. Pour this into the prepared dessert and serve warm. 
I personally prefer having this dessert completely cooled or maybe even nice and cold.


I am sending this to the Kerala Kitchen event for March hosted by Prathiba of Cook Ezee

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thnks a lot Julie... Meanwhile u didn't tell me hw to get my award from ur space :)

      Delete
  2. One of my fav payasam Misha, love them. Thanks again for sending it to KK Event. Hope to find you soon in my GFC connect as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prathibha.... So happy 2 c u here....

      Delete