Thursday, February 9, 2012

Drooling Memories


Recipe: Dry Roasted Flaked Beef

There are certain tastes and flavours that we don’t forget ever and they just linger on to your tongue even when you haven’t had it in ages. These tastes kind of kindle your nostalgia and can bring back some beautiful memories.



This post is about one such dish from my hostel days in Coimbatore. Though I would never say that our hostel food was bad, I can’t help telling that it definitely was boring, especially with their constantly repetitive menu. It was the lunch menu that was particularly unbearably boring with their usual Sambar and Rasam and Porials.
To escape this boredom my friends and I used to bring some tasty treasures from home.
These were usually pickles, chamanti podis etc. But there was this one dish that we all cherished the most and which never failed to brighten up our otherwise dry lunches. I had never had anything like that before and became an instant fan with the very first mouthful of it.

It was this very very dry roasted and flaked beef that was made to last for a long time without refrigeration. My dear friend J’s mom was the master chef behind this wonderful dish.
Though I really don’t remember the last time I had it, I could still remember the amazing taste of this dish and kept bragging about it to my husband every time I talked about my college days. So much so that he finally demanded I somehow get it done for him J




I decided to give it a shot and couldn’t believe my own self when I found that I had successfully recreated the dish from my memories.

So I have decided to send this to Roshans Cucina for the Kerala Kitchen February contest


DRY ROASTED FLAKED BEEF

Ingredients

Beef – 500gms cleaned and cubed (I used veal as it cooks faster)
Onion – 4 medium sized slices finely
Ginger crushed – 2 tbsp
Garlic crushed – 2 tbsp
Green chilly – 2 -3 slit
Curry leaves – a handful
Chilly powder – 1 ½ tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Fennel powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Pepper crushed – ½ tsp (optional)
Salt as per taste
Oil – 4- 5tbsp (I used coconut oil)

Preparation

Dry roast the spice powders (chilly powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder) till you start getting the roast smell (be careful not to burn the spices) and set aside.

Mix together beef, sliced onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies, curry leaves, fennel powder, roasted spices, salt and 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker. Wait for 5 whistles or until the meat is slightly over cooked and starts flaking. 
Now heat this mixture until all the water has evaporated.

Take a non-stick pan and heat oil in it. Transfer the meat along with the masala into this pan and cook by stirring constantly so that the beef gets completely flaked and dry. Add garam masala and pepper at this stage.

Continue roasting till you get completely dry and crispy flakes of beef. You may add more oil if required.
It took me almost 20 mins to get my beef nice and dry and roasted.




Hot rice and curd is the perfect combination for this lovely dish.
I guarantee that you won’t be able to stop yourself until the whole thing is over!!!

4 comments:

  1. Ingane kothipikkalle,lovely n yummy !!

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thnks a lot Julie.hope u try it :)

      Delete
  2. yumm! this looks like something that i will enjoy eating!!! can't wait to try it... id love to have it with a slice of soft freshly baked bread@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sarah... And the bread combo Sounds yummy yumm...too bad I quit eating beef :)

      Delete