Thursday, February 23, 2012

Another Frozen Delight


Recipe: Dulce de Leche Frozen Yogurt

I guess I have already mentioned before, how much me and my family enjoys a treat of some frozen yogurt once in a while. With the winter quite harsh this year I have been refraining from making this lovely dessert for quite some time now.




But a couple of days back, while surfing the net I happened to read some great recipes using Dulce de Leche (pronounced Doolsay de Lechay Well, for those who are not familiar with Dulce de Leche, it nothing but toffee.) 
But what fascinated me most was the way in which Dulce de Leche was prepared and I just had to try it, which I did!!
And trust me, once you have it made, you will have tough time trying to stop yourself from licking it empty leave alone using it in a recipeJ.
Obviously that’s exactly what I was doing and in between my efforts of pulling myself away from the can of Dulce de Leche and thinking of what to do with this lovely ingredient I landed up with an ingenious idea……. Why not make a frozen yogurt with it….. and that’s just what I did.
And believe me friends I couldn’t help patting myself each time I had a spoonful J

DULCE DE LECHE FROZEN YOGURT

Ingredients

For Dulce de Leche:
Condensed milk – 1 can

To make Dulce de Leche you will have to drop an unopened can of condensed milk into a heavy bottomed vessel of hot water and let it boil. Then lower the flame and let it simmer for 3 hours refilling the vessel with hot water as required.
Let the can cool completely before opening. After 3 hours of boiling you will find that the condensed milk has turned to yummy toffee.
It would be a good idea to keep the vessel covered during the boiling.





For the frozen yogurt:

Low fat yogurt – 3 cups
Dulce de Leche – 1 can
Gelatine – 2 tsp
Hot water – 3 tbsp to dissolve the gelatine
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp

Preparation

Dissolve the gelatine completely in the hot water.

Using a blender, wisk together the yogurt and Dulce de Leche until well combined.

Add the gelatine and vanilla essence into the yogurt mixture and mix well.
Pour this into a freezer- safe vessel and freeze.
After an hour of freezing, remove the vessel from the freezer and give the mixture a good wisk. This is done to break the ice crystals.

Repeat this every hour for 3 -4 times and then leave to freeze overnight.

Keep the yogurt outside for 10 mins before serving as this makes the scooping out easier.






I served this frozen yogurt topped with chopped, toasted pecans which really helped enhance the taste further.

I am really happy to announce that I received my very first award ever, for this post from my dear blogger friend Julie of Erivum Puliyum. And here its is




10 comments:

  1. Had heard about dulce de leche,but this looks luscious...Lovely dessert!!

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank u julie... i thnk u shud try it :)

      Delete
  2. looks yummy! but boil for 3 hrs... i think I'll exhaust my gas cylinder in a day :) have u tried the microwave method to make dulce de leche? I've heard that tastes the same but takes hardly 5-10 minutes... though i havent experimented with dulce de leche at all..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i knw sarah 3 hrs of boiling is not quite an affordable thing on a regular basis, but i juz took the risk coz here in the middle east gas is'nt all tat expensive :)
      anyways i wud love 2 try the microwave way, it wud dfntly b a relief!! do let me knw if u knw hw 2 do it. and i must say u shud try dulce de leche .....it can turn out 2 be an addiction!!

      Delete
    2. Magpie had posted a recipe for it.. It takes 15 minutes.. Here's the link - http://magpiesrecipes.blogspot.in/2011/04/cardamom-dulce-de-leche-in-15-minutes.html

      Delete
  3. You have an award at my space,please come & grab,dear!!

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnk u so much julie...really excited to get my first award... So sorry 4 the delay as I was without net 4 2 weeks nw coz of shifting :)

      Delete
    2. julie do let me knw hw to get the award frm ur space :)

      Delete
  4. first time in ur space.....wow..the frozen yogurt looks absolutely delicious....it looks gorgeous....loved ur clicks... thnx for sharing the recipe ...following ur space now... do visit my space sometime !

    http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u so much Sonali. Sorry 4 the late reply as I was without net 4 2 weeks. Will definitely visit ur space

      Delete