Sunday, January 29, 2012

Simple Pleasures of Snacking


Recipe: Kaya Baji (Batter fried Raw Banana) and Mulakku Baji (Batter fried Green Pepper)

I don’t believe that there are many people who don’t enjoy a little bite with their evening tea. Well, I am definitely not among those no-fun people!!


Though I would have loved to grab a snack with my tea everyday I have been refraining myself from these extravagances, ofcourse, because of my ever-so- unfriendly weighing machineL.
Of course when I say snack, I don’t mean a juicy, crunchy, healthy apple, or pear or for that matter any fruit at all. For me evening snack means hot hot bajis, pazam pori(batter fried ripe bananas), ulli vada (onions fried with batter) and the list the goes on…..(you can now understand why my weighing machine can get a little unfriendly!!!).

For the reason I had been staying away from these lovely snacks for a long long time now and my evening tea is always just a cup of TEA…

This year winter has been as unfriendly as my weighing machine.
We have been literally freezing inside our homes for the past 2 months now, especially the last couple of weeks showing the lowest temperatures ever.
With these ever so chilly evenings it has become impossible for me to control my cravings for a lovely, hot, sizzling snack with a sip of my hot steamy tea.
And so today I decided to breach my rules and go ahead with one of my evergreen favourites, Baji.

I have made 2 types of bajis here, one with raw bananas and the other with large green peppers.


I am sure there aren’t many Indians, especially people from the south who can really keep away from these very popular south Indian snacks; I would say they are Kerala’s favourite snack items…… hope everyone agrees!!

Well, for the same reason I am sending this post to Palakad Chamayal for the Jan contest in Kerala Kitchen.




KAYA BAJI AND MULAKKU BAJI (Batter Fried Raw Banana and Green Peppers)



Ingredients

Raw Banana – 3 sliced into thin slabs
Green Peppers – 3 (slightly slit in the centre and dipped in salt water for an hour)

Gram flour (besan) – 1 – 1 ½ cup
Chilly powder – ½ tsp
Salt – a pinch
Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
Onion – a small one chopped finely
Water
Oil – for deep frying

Preparation

Mix together all the ingredients (except the sliced bananas and green pepper) to form a smooth lump free batter.

For the peppers, the batter should be of thick, dropping consistency. This helps the batter stick to the smooth outer skin of the pepper.

For the raw bananas the batter should be slightly thinner in consistency.

So, if you are making both banana and pepper bajis, it is always better to make the mulakku baji first and then go ahead to make the kaya bajis after slight loosening the batter with more water.

Once the batter is made, you may heat some oil in a heavy bottomed pan until very hot.
Dip your veggies in the batter and deep fry in the oil until golden brown.
Remove from oil using a slotted spoon and drain off excess oil in tissue paper.

Enjoy it hot with some steaming tea.

2 comments:

  1. Love these any day...Looks tempting
    Thanks for linking to the event

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the comment Kaveri..... Hope you have received my other enteries too.
      Happy 2 hear from u.

      Delete