Monday, December 5, 2011

Veg or Non- Veg That’s the Question?!


Recipe: Soya chunk Cutlet






My husband is a hard core non vegetarian. Though a sport with any non- veg item, it was a near to impossible task to get him to open his mouth to an unfamiliar vegetarian item. So I was quite sceptical when I wanted to make some Soya chunk curry. It was one of my favourites but the thought of getting my husband to tread on unfamiliar grounds was daunting.
 I had to get him to eat it without making him realise the ingredient and at the same time impress him with the taste… any flaw meant that Soya chunks stayed out of my house for ever!!! I was also in my initials days of cooking and had not yet learned to experiment J
It was during one of those days that I was talking to my mom and she mentioned that she made this cutlet with soya chunks and fooled everyone at my home to believe that it was beef!!!!   
Bingo!!!! That’s it…. That’s exactly what I am going to do… cutlets… why didn’t I ever think of that….




So that evening I had some soya chunk cutlets ready and served it with dinner…. I couldn’t help giggling when I saw my husband gobbling it up with absolutely no questions being asked. When I revealed to him, what he had just had he wouldn’t believe that he had eaten something purely vegetarian. And to my joy he said, if this is how soya is going to taste then he’s ready to make soya a regular item at home… yippee!!!
Seriously, soya cutlets really don’t taste vegetarian…. Just try them!!



Now for the recipe.

SOYA CHUNK CUTLETS

Ingredients

Soya chunks(soak in water for nearly ½ hour and squeez out water completely) –  1 ½ cups chopped coarsely(use a chopper for fine results, if you don’t have one them just use an ordinary grinder, but be careful not to powder them. It should look something like a meat mince)

Potato – 1 medium sized, boiled and mashed
Onion – 1 medium sized chopped finely
Ginger- 1 ½ tsp finely chopped
Green chillies – 2 chopped
Pepper – 1 tsp (as per spice needs)
Garam masala – ¼ tsp
Egg white- 1 slightly whisked
Bread crumbs – 1 cup
Oil – enough for deep frying

This makes nearly 10 – 12 cutlets

Preparation

Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and fry the chopped soya chunks in it for a few mins or until the soya chunks are completely dry and lightly browned.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add chopped ginger and green chillies and sauté till you get rid of the raw smell. Now add the chopped onions and continue sautéing till the onion is transparent.  Once the onions are done, add on the chopped and fried soya chunks and sauté till the mixture is nice and dry. Now season the mixture with pepper and garam masala and switch off the flame.
Once the mixture has completely cooled, put the mashed potatoes and mix well. Now roll out small balls and flatten them out to get oval shaped cutlets. You can make them into any shape you desire.  
Get your whisked egg white and bread crumbs ready. Dip your patties first in the egg whites and then cover them up with bread crumbs.
When all the cutlets are ready, take a deep pan and heat enough oil for deep frying.
Now a rule of thumb….see to it that your oil is really hot before you drop in your cutlet patties… if its not hot enough your cutlets will end up breaking!!

Fry out all your cutlets and enjoy them hot and crispy with some tomato ketchup.
Your kids and husband will never ever guess that they are enjoying something that’s unbelievably vegetarian.
Get ready for an ultimate deception ;)




4 comments:

  1. Hey!!! u r turning pro. Y not think of hosting a TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks a lot rajeev... very happy to hear from u. TV shows... hehe, never crossed my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, i actually tried this and it came out really well. It almost seemed as if they were beef cutlets. Thnx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thnks 4 trying out cheriamma.... Y don't u join my blog cheriamma.

    ReplyDelete