Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Roast of All Roasts



Recipe: Prawn Roast




Prawns… something I cant keep my hands off….Irresistible!! No words to describe the taste and flavour. It has been my all time favourite and shall always be I guess.
Nevertheless, I have always had a taboo towards the prawn dishes we get at the restaurants… I usually keep away from them. I guess it’s a phobia I developed because of my dad… well, he’s a clean freak, you see and never trust restaurants especially when it comes to sea food and in particular prawns.
So prawns were a delicacy confined to home kitchen. Not that it mattered at all as I had a master chef for a mom J
Come prawns season and its festival time for me…. there’s always a packet of prawns stashed away in our freezer and every other day my dad returns from office with a bag of prawns and then I love my dad more than ever ;)
My mom cooks all kinds of dishes with prawns but the one that is completely irresistible is prawn roast.
I miss it the moment I polish off my plate!!
Just don’t seem to get enough of it…..
So this weekend when my husband bought some prawns home, I could think of nothing but prawn roast.
Of course, it’s not for any of the health freaks out there, but anything for a bite into that lovely white meat, don’t you think so!!!



Here goes the recipe.


PRAWN ROAST

Ingredients

Prawns – 1 kg, cleaned and de-veined
Onions – 2 big ones, finely sliced
Ginger – ½ inch, julienned
Gamboges (kudam puli) – 1
Green chillies slit - 2
Curry leaves - a handful
Coconut chipped into thin, small pieces – 4 tbsp
Chilly power – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Fennel seed powder – ¾ tsp
Pepper – ½ tsp (optional)
Oil (preferably coconut oil)- 4 tbsp

Preparation

Put the cleaned prawns, turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilly powder, gamboges and a few curry leaves into clay pot or any pot of choice and cook covered on a medium flame for about 2-3 mins and then cook uncovered till all the water evaporates and the prawns are cooked well.
Meanwhile, heat a pan and pour 4 tbsp of oil, put in the julienned ginger and sauté for few seconds, put in the chipped coconuts and continue sautéing for a couple of mins. Now add the sliced onions, slit green chillies and the curry leaves and stir on till the onion turns light brown and crisp. Now put in all the spices (remaining 1 tsp chilly powder, coriander powder, fennel powder and pepper powder). Sauté till the raw smell is off but be careful not to burn the spices.
Now remove the gamboges from the cooked prawns and put the prawns into the onion-chilly-ginger-coconut mixture and stir till the prawns are nice and dry and roast to perfection.


So easy and sooooo yummy!!!
You may team it up with steaming rice, appam, parata etc.





2 comments:

  1. Wow Misha! Hats off to u! Tried this prawn roast today exactly the same way you've described along with the same measurements without even the slightest of alteration(including the clay pot) and the result was stunning! Simply love the preparation and loved your anecdotes even more. Keep it up! No wonder my poor nephew can't even begin dreaming of losing weight. You're an absolute food lover's delight.

    ReplyDelete