Thursday, December 29, 2011

Joy of Cookie- ing!!


Recipe: Oats and Raisin Cookies


I am back again with more baked stuffs…. and this time I have decided to please my cookie lover husband with some nice crunchy and chewy oatmeal cookies.



 During my early days in Bahrain, on one of my grocery visits I had mistakenly bought old fashioned oats and didn’t realise it until I took it out to make some porridge for my daughter.
I had never tried it before and was dismayed to learn that my girl didn’t enjoy it at all. It was during that time that I got to read this recipe for oatmeal cookies on the newspaper. It talked about using old fashioned rolled oats and I was only more than delighted to try it out.



Old fashioned oats are quite bigger and thicker than the quick cooking ones. Though they make the porridges quite chunky and chewy, they give better cookies than quick cooking oats.
Oats and Raisins make quite a combination and is a lovely accompaniment with your evening tea.

OATS AND RAISIN COOKIES




Ingredients

Oats – 1 cup
Flour – ¼ cup
Butter – ¼ cup room temp
Light brown sugar – 1/3 cup
Egg – 1 small egg or just take half of a slightly beaten egg
Vanilla essence – 1/3 tsp
Baking soda – ¼ tsp
Salt – a pinch
Cinnamon powder – ¼ tsp
Raisins – 1/3 cup

Preparation

Preheat oven to 180 degree C.

Blend in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon power)

Cream together butter and sugar till smooth, add the slightly beaten egg and vanilla essence and continue beating till soft and fluffy.

Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix until well incorporated. Now put in the oats, raisins and toasted nut and fold in.
You can keep the batter into the refrigerator for half an hour if you feel your batter is too loose.
You may also freeze your batter for future use.

Scoop out the cookie batter using an ice cream scoop or a table spoon and drop into a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave a gap of 2 inch between each cookie.

Flatten the cookies to 1 inch thickness with your fingers.
Bake for 10-15 mins or until the cookies brown at the edge and the centre is still soft and moist.


Leave to cool before using. Store in airtight containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment