Monday, December 19, 2011

A Cocoa Attack!!



Recipe: Chocolate Cookies with Roasted Nuts and Hot Cocoa



Christmas is just round the corner, winter is getting colder and windy by the day and of course the New Year fever is fast catching up too…. What better reasons do I need to do some baking!!
Though I love baking and absolutely need no reasons to do so, I haven’t been doing much of it for some time.
I guess lethargy was getting the better of me…. But not any more. How could anybody miss out on this season??!!
As I pulled up my sleeves and got ready to do some baking, I realised that I had to make one of the most taunting decisions….. Cookies or cakes!!
Cookies were my husband’s favourite and cake my daughter’s. 


You can imagine the kind of fix I was in!!
It was as I was trying to decide that I realised that it had been ages since I had baked some cookies. In fact I couldn’t remember the last time I did….
So the decision was made, it was going to be our all time favourite, chocolate cookies with some crunchy nuts.



As I was waiting with my first batch of cookies in the oven, with the aroma of baking cocoa wafting through the entire house, I had this unbearable craving to drink some nice hot cocoa.
And trust me, hot cocoas go wonderfully well with cookies.



So, that’s exactly what I did, got some nice hot cocoa ready to team up with those yummy, crunchy cookies and enjoyed a lovely evening snack with my overly surprised husband.

Let’s first check out the cookie recipe.

CHOCOLATE COOKIES WITH TOASTED NUTS (Adapted from joy of baking by Stephanie Jaworski )




Ingredients

Butter – ½ cup
Light brown sugar – ½ cup
White Sugar – ¼ cup
Egg – 1 large
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Flour – 1cup
Cocoa powder – ¼ cup
Baking powder – ½ tsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Toasted nuts- 1 cup (you can use any nuts of your choice like cashew nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans etc) I used cashew nuts.
To toast the nuts you have to spread out the nuts on a baking sheet and place it in an oven at 180 degree C for around 8- 10 mins or until the nuts turn a light brown colour and are fragrant. With cashew nuts you can just chop them up after toasting.
But if you are using hazelnuts, pecans or anything with skin, after toasting, wrap up the nuts in a kitchen towel and leave to steam for sometime. Now rub the nuts in the towel until all the skin comes out. Chop them up and use.

This quantity can make around 20-24, 3 inch round cookies.

Preparation

Preheat oven to 190 degree C and place rack in the centre of the oven.
In a bowl whisk together butter and both the sugars using an electric or hand mixer, until the mixture gets soft and foamy.

Now break the egg into this mixture followed by vanilla essence and continue whisking till you get a smooth mixture.
 In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt).  Add this to the butter-sugar- egg mixture and mix well until well incorporated. Add the nuts and fold it in.
If you feel your mixture is too soft, refrigerate for ½ an hr to 2 hrs until firm before baking.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Take out small scoops of the dough (almost half tbsp) using a small ice cream scoop or 2 tea spoons and place it on the baking sheet. Leave a space of 2 inches between each cookie.

Bake for 8 -10 mins or until the dough is a little hard on the edges but soft in the centre.

Leave to cool completely before serving.
Store in an airtight container for further use.


HOT COCOA (Adapted from joy of baking by Stephanie Jaworski )




Ingredients

Milk – ¾ cup
Cocoa – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Cream or milk – 2 tbsp

Preparation

Heat milk in a sauce pan.

Meanwhile, mix cocoa, sugar and cream or milk in a mug to make a smooth paste.
Pour the hot milk into this paste and mix well. You can use an immersion blender to make your drink nice and frothy.

You may garnish this with softly whipped cream or chocolate powder
.
As easy as that, your hot cocoa is ready.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! Yummy! Perfect combo, feel like in a cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks a lot Umm Mymoonah.... hope u enjoy making it...

    ReplyDelete